Thursday, April 16, 2015

In Class Questions

Were there any prominent symbols and how were they used?
In this comic, I noticed that they brought up the idea of the Church and liquor and usually compared the two in some sort of way, or there was trouble happening near liquor or involving liquor.  In the beginning in the bar, that's where the preacher started delivering his 'truth's, and you can see a liquor bottle on the ground.  The reason the preacher starts on his whole rant is because of the watered down beer.  It is also right outside the bar where Tulip first sees the man she's supposed to kill.  There's also the idea of innocence; in the beginning, the Preacher delivers the 'truth' to everyone, which infuriates the public so they beat him up.  Then, the public claims their innocence in the whole ordeal.  Tulip kind of loses her 'innocence' at shooting the man.

Is there an aspect to the story where you were able to make a personal connection?
I'm not really sure if there's any aspect I personally related to since the characters and their situation is so different from any I have ever been in.  However, there are some feelings that are the same between the comic and myself; I relate to the Preacher in the beginning with the frustration of hearing everybody claim their innocence yet hearing all of their secrets, as most people in any given situation will usually try to act like they had nothing to do with it.  I also relate to Tulip and how she decides to ignore all warnings and drive into the explosion; I am of a similar mindset where part of me is curious but most of me would be worried for anyone there, and I believe I would probably do something similar.

If you were to adapt this story to another medium, what changes would you make and why?
I could see this as a TV show, similar to the format of Lost or Supernatural.  I think the biggest change I would make would be to not have the wings on the ruler of Heaven.  It's a tiny change in the grand scheme of things, and this change would be rooted in practical VFX money reasons and also the fact that I think it would be harder for people to be intimidated by someone with wings.  Because it's a symbol that we're not used to seeing on people in everyday human life, it would cause the show to lose its sense of being within a realistic reality.  In comics, people are more used to the unexpected, and when the details are just enough for you to imagine the rest, you can imagine it.  With a format like TV though, it would have to look so accurate and there's not much room for mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment