Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 14: The Future of Comics

Other than comic strips in the paper, the second form of comics I regularly read were webcomics.  Nothing enriching; it was first just Mutts daily comic sent to my email, and then I found a comic that most teens find called Cyanide and Happiness back in my old deviantArt days.


This comic I love, mostly because the characters are just stick figures.  It was something so simply that made really appreciate this type of raw (and often crude) humor.  Since I liked Cyanide and Happiness so much, it only makes sense that the next webcomic that I would enjoy immensely would be Hyperbole and a Half:


Hyperbole and a Half is great, because it's not even told in traditional comic form.  It's just some long blog posts split up with these crude little drawings the creator has made.  This webcomic usually tells tales of her past in such a funny and comedic way.  Most people see some aspect of themselves in her characters.  

From this post, I decided to visit another webcomic I really like, called "Infinite Nap."  I think this comic is a great example of what is really appealing about webcomics, which is that they're short little blurbs that are usually about real life.  At least the webcomics I'm familiar with all seem to reflect someone talking about a personal experience or just how they feel that day.  In this day and age, I think people are looking to feel more connected with each other; every online community has that feeling of being just that, a 'community', and I think people automatically look for a group of people where they all have shared experiences.



I felt that way when I read the comic Ducks Ducks Ducks.  I really enjoy the loose nature of comics like these.  They bring me back to the idea Scott McCloud brought up about how the simpler something is, the more someone can project their own details onto it and relate more.  I think it also helps make the story feel like it's being told to you by a friend, rather than a random stranger on the internet.  

Octapus Pie was another good comic and I liked how this one had more of a storyline that it followed thorugh each week, rather than the other webcomics which were either little gags or short stories.   Each webcomic offers something new to the table and I don't believe they will die out anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment